Let me break it down, step by step (day by day, a fresh start over, a different hand to play...)
- Chop an onion (this is the saddest part)
- Preheat a pan, sauce pan, skillet... something with walls so the butter doesn't leak all over your stove.
- Put a pat of butter in your pan. (how much is a pat of butter, you ask? It's about a teaspoon, but I say it's a little more than that, like a half a tablespoon)
- Put the onion in the pan
- Stir it up occasionally. I always use my trusty metal spatula. I will be so sad when that things dies. Here it is after a dangerous struggle with a baked sweet potato:
- When the onion is transparent (I'll post pictures the next time I saute an onion, shouldn't be too long), it's done.