Salt & Pepper
4 Pieces of Bacon cut into 1/2 in. pieces
4 tbsp Butter
±1/4 c Sugar
4 tsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Orange Juice
- Melt butter
- Stir in sugar and chili powder
- Stir in orange juice
- When the color starts to change, reduce heat or remove from heat.
- Preheat oven 350°
- Cut hens in half (the long way so that each half has a wing and a leg)
- Rinse well and pat dry.
- Place hens in a baking dish for 10 minutes (skin side down)
- Turn hens over and baste generously with chili mix
- Bake for 45 minutes or until well browned, baste repeatedly during these 45 minutes
- After 45 minutes, wrap hen with bacon and cook until the bacon is browned or however you like your bacon.
I tried this once with lemon juice and honey instead of sugar and OJ. It was not delicious. I don't recommend doing it that way.
Eating these was a little embarrassing. I basically wanted to lick my plate when I was done. It was a little messy, as sauces are, but I will gladly take the mess if it means it's going to taste like that. I also have no idea how to remove meat from a chicken or turkey in a decent fashion, so there is usually a lot of ripping and tearing. TC says, "It was awesome. I want more." Enough said. We all gave it a 5.