1 Small Onion, Diced
1 tbsp Fresh Ginger, Grated
3 tbsp Curry
1 tbsp Sugar
2 c. Coconut Milk
1 Diced Red Bell Pepper
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
Vegetables, meats, or tofu
- Prepare any rice, meat, tofu or vegetables you would like to use in the sauce.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, put oil in pan, then add onions, ginger, curry powder, and sugar in. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk and simmer. Then add red bell pepper. (This is also the point when you would add already cooked meats, vegetables or tofu)
- Cook for about 10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve over rice noodles or rice.
This was the "frying tofu" stage:
The most important note: Since this only takes about 10 minutes of actual cook time, make sure you have rice done in advance if you are having rice. This also goes for tofu. I fried up some tofu in coconut oil the night before, and it took me hours. Worth it.
The original recipe called for 1 1/2 tbsp of curry powder. I thought that was way too bland, I ended up doubling it... if not more than doubling it.
The red pepper added some much needed flavor.
I also added a little sesame oil after my initial taste. Added some delicious.
I love tofu in red curry sauce. This was not that. It was not as good as that. It was bland, I thought. I give it a 3. The amount of prep before the actual cooking (because of the fried tofu) was hours. Next time, I'll try to be more efficient. TC says, "Needs to be stronger". He keeps asking me to make it again. I polled the guests and these are the total scores: 3.5, 4, 4, and 4.