24 oz. Green Beans
8 oz. Quartered Button Mushrooms
3 tbsp Butter
1 Onion, Halved & Thinly Sliced
2 tbps All Purpose Flour*
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 c. Sour Cream
1/2 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
Fried onions for topping* (optional)
- Prepare beans (for fresh, steam the beans).
- Drain beans and toss with mushrooms
- Melt butter in a large skillet
- Saute onion (until onion is slightly clear and browned)
- Whisk in flour
- Whisk in salt and pepper.
- Gradually whisk in sour cream until the sauce bubbles.
- Add green beans and mushrooms
- Stir to coat the green beans and mushrooms
- Remove from heat, toss briefly with cheese and fried oniony bits*.
- Spoon into a casserole
- Top with cheese and fried oniony bits.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
I used fresh green beans, but if you use frozen, make sure to drain them before mixing them.
*for GF (Gluten Free), use sorghum or chickpea flour (chickpea flour has a stronger taste). Fried oniony bits are not gluten free.
I have terrible timing in the kitchen. Things that require me to have everything prepared and to put it together quickly or I will ruin the dish are hard for me. This is one of those things. Once you whisk in the flour, you had better be ready with the salt and pepper and the sour cream. That all being said, I made it work. That means that you can too.
As for taste, this was a little dry for me, and I think maybe a little more butter would have made a huge difference. Luckily I loved this dish so much that I will definitely make it again and I will update you on the increased butter. I would give it a 5. TC gave it a 5. TC's mom gave it a 5.